I had been looking for some antique wooden candle holders and hadn't found what I wanted. I was certain I could re-purpose the posts from the headboard to get the look I wanted.
Despite my son's disdain he was willing to help me break away the pieces that I wanted to salvage. He is my partner in crime and creativity...sometimes willingly. :)
We took them home and thoroughly cleaned them.
I carefully chose the sections of each post that I wanted for my candlesticks and marked them clearly. I wanted the sticks to be of different height and shape. I also made sure there would be an nice "lip" at the top for resting the candle.
A quick run through the chop saw and I had my pieces.
I roughly sanded the edges and surface.
My plan was to make them look aged. The end product wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I will likely refinish them soon but for now they look pretty good on my dining room table.
First I covered them with white spray paint. After they were completely dry, I lightly sanded with soft grit sandpaper. Lastly, I applied a dark walnut stain over the painted surface. I used long strokes to resemble wood grain. When completely dry I sprayed on a polyurethane.
When/if I refinish I will apply the stain first and probably add color.
The picture above is my fall centerpiece on my dining room table. More details can be found here.
Share at: Diana Rambles, Back to the Basics!, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Woods of Bell Trees, Cuddlebug Cuties. Savvy Southern Style, Sincerely Paula, Coastal Charm, Knick of Time, A Creative Princess,#GrowingCirclesHop
Featured at: Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party, A Creative Princess